Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Backyard Birds

This past weekend I was lucky enough to see some uncommon birds in my backyard.  While sitting on the deck, repotting plants purchase at the local farmer's market, I was surprised to see five Cedar Waxwings land (fittingly) on Cedar at the corner of my deck.  It is the first time that I have ever seen Waxwings in my neck of the woods. I happened to be in the right place at the right time.  (All the more reason to spend some time outside - you never know what you might be missing!)

Not the best picture because they had already flown high into a neighboring Maple

A much better view of a Cedar Waxwing by one of my fellow artists at Greeting Card Universe, Digital Midge


While spending time outside, why not spend some time observing the birds around you?  Even better, take it a step further and make your observations count and possibly help in research about various birds. A great site to track your bird observations is ebird.org.  You can use it to track what you see for your own record and your information will also be amassed with others' observation to make usable information to track bird movement.

Happy birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment